Residential Information

Welcome to the City of Parkersburg!

Our residents are our main priority and we offer many services to make life in Parkersburg second to none. Whether you need a building permit or are moving to a new location, look no further. We are here to help. 

Are you looking to move to Parkersburg? Click here to check out our welcome packet!


The City of Parkersburg provides water, sewer, and garbage pickup to our Photo of Parkersburg Water Towerresidents. If you need to start or stop water, sewer, and garbage services please contact City Hall at 319-346-2262. If you are new to town and need to access the Parkersburg Utility Contract, please find that here. If you would like to pay your utility deposit online, please click here. Please choose "misc. payment" when paying a deposit online. 

We contract our garbage services locally through City Sanitary Service. If you need to have a garbage can dropped off or replaced, or if you had trouble with a recent garbage pick-up, please call them at 319-346-1618.

Pickup Days:
3rd Street and west - Tuesday
South of Hwy 57 - Tuesday
2nd Street and east - Wednesday

You can also contact them by visiting their website.

Contact City Sanitary Service

Electric and gas services are provided by MidAmerican Energy. If you need to start or stop electric or gas services, please contact MidAmercian Energy at 1-888-427-5632 or you can access their website at

Internet and Cable Service Providers:

Century Link
Residential: 800-244-1111
Business: 800-603-6000

Residential: 866-637-2225

Dumont Telephone
Phone: 641-857-3211

Building Permits

Building permits are issued for changes to your home or business that will impact the footprint of the building such as building additions, sidewalks, decks, fences, ect. Things that do not need a building permit include items of routine maintenance such as re-roofing, siding, finish work, basement sealing, window replacement, and plumbing, electrical, or HVAC repairs. If you are unsure if you need a building permit, please call City Hall at 319-346-2262. If you would like to apply for a building permit, please find the building permit forms below or stop into City Hall to pick one up. 

If you are in need of a fence permit, please fill out the Building Permit form and Building Permit Cover Page attached above. Please see the Fence Information Sheet for more information on putting in a fence in the City of Parkersburg.


The purpose of zoning is to promote the general welfare of the community, to protect and conserve the value of buildings, and encourage the most appropriate use of the land. Zoning tells you what you can use your property for and what you can build on it. Each address in the City of Parkersburg has a zoning designation attached to it. In order to find your zoning designation, please see the zoning map or call City Hall at 319-346-2262.