C.C. Wolf Mansion Historical Home
The Parkersburg Historical Society has been charged with the care and upkeep of the grand Wolf Mansion located at 401 Fifth St. This beautiful “Victorian Lady” is a marvelous testament of a bygone era of comfortable living with all the amenities of another time period. Fourteen different types of ornate woodwork throughout the home along with a 3 story tower, grand staircase, pocket doors, multiple fireplaces, leaded & stained glass windows, a museum, high school graduation photos of nearly every class back to 1895, military memorabilia, school memoriabilia and artifacts from our citizens and family members who lived and worked here are just a sampling of what the onlooker will find once inside the home.
Built in 1895, for Charles C. & Mary A. Wolf, this house was their residence until 1925. Due to financial difficulties the Wolf’s experienced just prior to Charles’ death in 1921, the house and contents were sold at public auction in 1926, and later turned over to the City of Parkersburg to be used as a Community House. It was remodeled in 1930, and became home to the public library and also provided spaces for community functions and organizations to meet for the next 39 years.
In 1970, the house was vacated and was nearly ready for the wrecking ball, but visionary residents of the community banded together to form the Parkersburg Historical Society. It was through their efforts and the desire to preserve and restore this treasure for the future, that we enjoy the fruit of those labors today. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, as well as being listed in the Iowa Tourism Guide. The home is open to the public for tours from Memorial Day through Labor Day on Sundays from 1:00-3:00 pm or by appointment. For more information or to schedule a tour you may contact Becky Thorne at 319-231-0079.
Follow us on Facebook!