Peddler’s Permit

Photo of a peddlerThe City of Parkersburg requires peddlers or solicitors to apply for a permit before soliciting door to door. What is a peddler or solicitor?

"Peddler” means any person carrying goods or merchandise who sells or offers for sale for immediate delivery such goods or merchandise from house to house or upon the public street.  

“Solicitor” means any person who solicits or attempts to solicit from house to house or upon the public street any contribution or donation or any order for goods, services, subscriptions or merchandise to be delivered at a future date.

“Transient merchant” means any person who engages in a temporary or itinerant merchandising business and in the course of such business  hires, leases or occupies any building or structure whatsoever, or who operates out of a vehicle that is parked anywhere within the City limits.  Temporary association with a local merchant, dealer, trader or auctioneer, or conduct of such transient business in connection with, as a part of, or in the name of any local merchant, dealer, trader, or auctioneer does not exempt any person from being considered a transient merchant.

If you would like to apply for a peddler/solicitor's license within the City of Parkersburg, please find the application here. 

 Back To FAQ

How do I?