The Parkersburg Lions Club is a local service club affiliated with the World Lions Club International Organization, which was founded in the United States in 1917 by Melvin Jones, a Chicago businessman. Today, worldwide there are over 43,811 clubs and 1,428,000 members in 151 countries.
The underlying principle of Lionism is based on involvement in providing assistance to the sick, the needy and the less fortunate and a willingness to take an active role in community leadership. Melvin Jones' idea has developed into a worldwide expression of what individuals, properly motivated, can do in providing unselfish service to their communities, their nations and their fellow man.
Parkersburg Lions Club was chartered in 1978 and today has 35 active members. A few of our past/present projects include:
- Awarding four yearly scholarships to local students/citizens through the Aplington-Parkersburg Dollars for Scholars Program.
- Providing eyeglasses to local school children needing assistance.
- Providing and delivering Christmas sacks for shut-ins and elderly.
- Making available through a local loan closet wheelchairs, walkers, beds, and other specialty medical equipment to local citizens.
- Support for the Leader Dog Program for the blind, which annually helps nearly 300 adults gain independence and safe mobility through this program started in 1939. Lions purchased a puppy named Sadie and get letters and pictures each month from the
prisoner who is raising her.
- Contributing funds toward new fire station/building in Parkersburg.
- Donation to Veterans building project.
- Construction of bandstand in Rotary Park.
- Contribute to the Legion Parking Lot Fund.
- Working with the Rotary Club, we are restoring the buildings and area of the Depot Park.
- We display and sell mints at the local Banks and several other businesses.
- We sell Teri Lynn Nuts and Candies at the Legions monthly breakfast and they are also sold at the local Banks.
- We've had a Duck Race for the past 10 years. This is our main fund raiser, and it is held during Parkersburg Days.
The Lions Club meets every second Tuesday evening at 6:30 PM for a "catered meal" and meeting. This monthly meeting is held at the Parkersburg United Methodist Church, which is located at 502 Florence Street, Parkersburg, IA.
The contact person is:
Kate Humphrey, 319-346-1591.