American Legion Post 285
American Legion Post 285, located at 205 Cemetery Street, is one of the most active posts in all of the Third District. Membership in 2012 was 165 members. The regular monthly meeting is held on the fourth Saturday of each month, from 7:30 to 8:30 AM., and is held at the Veteran's Memorial Building.
On the fourth Sunday of each month, the Legion, Legion Auxiliary and Sons of the American Legion host a Breakfast Brunch from 8 AM to 1PM. The brunch is attended regularly by more than 400 people.
The American Legion Auxiliary
The Parkersburg American Legion was chartered in 1921 and today has 63 members. Our goal is to increase membership. Any person having a family member as a Veteran is eligible. Our Legion Auxiliary meets at 12:30 PM at the Vets Building on the third Tuesday of each month. We wrap silverware and make fruit cups before the meeting begins.
Our President, Esther Schipper, can be reached at 319-346-2410.
A few of our projects are:
- Award 2 yearly scholarships to local students through A/P Dollars for Scholars.
- Provide monetary funds to our local veterans, when needed for medical reasons, support the Avenue of Flags.
- Provide treats and financial help for our veterans at the Marshalltown Veterans Home.
- Donate to various Veterans Projects in the community.
- Support and work with the Legion for the monthly breakfast. We make and provide the fruit cups.
- We visit the 6th grade school classes and present a Poppy Program each year.
- We donate to our WWII veterans trip to Washington DC.
- Pay all expenses for two girls to attend Girls State.